This was a joint venture between Andrew Millar and Dave Seidman at ADS
Motorcycles. Andrew started, Dave stepped in, and then they both
worked together to produce a classically-styled CS-1.
ADS is one of the few dealers that prefers to sell you a kit rather than build you a bike. Dave offers kits at the same price as buying from Ryca and then throws in a freebee. As he puts it: “I’m here to encourage folks to build the bike of their dreams. I help them through the whole process and do whatever I can so in the end they can feel the pride of pointing to a cool bike and saying, `Yeah, I built it’.” Which is what attracted Andrew to the project and made this bike possible.
They started with a mint 2011 Savage with only 1,100 miles on it. A relatively new bike is always easier to work on, has less surprises and not likely to have any hidden issues. All of which made this build a lot easier.
The only extras from Ryca were the Progressive shock and fork upgrades, and the brown leather seat--which turned out to be a driving feature of the bike’s appearance. According to Andrew, “the seat was so beautiful that we decided to incorporate other leather touches.” They turned a belt into a tank strap and, from Andrew being into bicycles, used a Brooks saddle pouch from England to hide the wires on the right side of the battery box. Both were stained to match the seat. With the addition of some brass touches the bike evolved into a sort of gentleman’s cafe racer.
The biggest change from a stock kit was closing the tank hole which brings up a few issues. First it’s not an easy weld as you’re joining three pieces of thin steel (tank, hole wall, and filler piece) that want to warp from the heat. Then you have to relocate the indicator lights and key switch. Dave took care of the welding and considerable Bondo work, and came up with the idea of mounting LEDs on a bracket off the frame in front of the tank, and moving the switch down by the left side of the battery box.
The side air filter idea is an adaptation of the one on the CS Tracker. To keep things neat they partially routed the crankcase vent through the frame, ending in a mini air filter from Applied Racing. The license mounts on the back of the battery box with its own light. Inside the box is a small lithium iron battery to give more room for the wires and connectors. Being obsessive, Dave insisted on reconfiguring the wire harness so the runs ran neatly and stayed hidden, which meant a lot of cutting and soldering. The brake hose and clutch and throttle cables were also custom made for a more finished appearance.
To keep that clean look they also retained the stock cylinder head covers. These were powder coated, had false vents cut in with brass screens, and used a new style compression-release lever to work with the left cover.
Andrew had Dave make a new rear brake-light switch setup, a bracket to hold the igniter to the battery box instead of an adhesive, steering stops so he could set the bars at a more comfortable angle, a custom belt guard, and a battery charging port. The only compromise was the exhaust wrapping. They wanted a chrome pipe but the stock one was chipped and rechroming was too expensive.
After it was finished the bike was dyno-tuned and tweaked. Not so much to improve power or torque (which it did), but for a smoother running machine.
After all that, family issues are now forcing Andrew to sell the bike. “Seeing what we accomplished it will be hard to see it go. But coming up with the ideas and the actual building was so enjoyable that I still feel like I got a lot out of it. To anyone thinking of getting a kit, don’t wait, do it now!”
Oak Beach, New York
View the Facebook album here.
See more customer builds in the Customer Gallery